Book Review: Stitched #1 by Mariah Mccourt, Aaron Alexovich

Stitched #1 is a middle grade graphic novel by Mariah Mccourt and Aaron Alexovich. The story opens with a patchwork girl waking up in a crypt with no idea of who, where, or what she is. Welcome to the Cemetery of Assumptions, a vast landscape of stones, mausoleums, and secrets. Home to monsters and mayhem, it may also hold the answers to her unknown parentage. Crimson is a resourceful patchwork girl and determined to those answers. Along the way, she meets the mysterious Wisteria, who has a tendency to change and a witch named Parameter whose spells tend to go awry. And two boys, Simon and Quinton, who make her feel something besides lost and confused. She must battle ghosts, zombies, and monsters in order to learn where she came from and who her real "mother" is. But will she do it alone, or will she have help from her new friends and unexpected crushes?

Stitched #1 is an interesting story with a fun and unique twist. I liked the characters, particularly Crimson and Wisteria. I also enjoyed the setting and the complications found in the haunted house. I think the entire cast of characters was well done and I liked that no character was all good or bad, they were flawed characters with flaws and insecurities- which makes them more real in my opinion. I really enjoyed the artwork, and the atmosphere of the story. It worked well for me. The only thing I did not like was the crushes and love interest sub stories. I think it was unnecessary, and I would have preferred more of a friendship focus, regardless of gender, at least a bit longer before resorting to romantic ground laying for future volumes. It did not ruin the story, I just felt that it watered down the goodness of the setting and characters. It would have felt more solid and had me more enthusiastic had Crimson thought more about her missing memories and evolving friendships than how 'cute' the guys around her were. I just think that it is too hard already to find good books without romance or the groundwork for it, while it may be more important in the plot for future volumes, it was just unnecessary adornment here.

Stitched #1 is a fun and has sweet but creepy elements that will appeal to a number of readers. I enjoyed the artwork and story and am hoping to see more from this series.

No comments: