Book Review: Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: The More Things Change (Blue Beetle: Rebirth #1) by Keith Giffen, Scott Kolins, Romulo Fajardo, Jr., Josh Reed

Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: The More Things Change (Blue Beetle: Rebirth #1) by Keith Giffen, Scott Kolins, Romulo Fajardo, Jr., and Josh Reed collects the first six volumes of the Rebirth story arc of Blue Beetle. Bonded to the Blue Beetle Scarab, teenager Jamie Reyes has no idea what he's doing with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. But he's in luck, because his predecessor--Ted Kord--is back in the DC Universe and here to serve as the young hero's mentor!Alongside fellow teen hero Doctor Fate, this duo will have to learn how to be heroes on the fly!

Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: The More Things Change is an entertaining and well drawn read. I know little of Blue Beetle's story, so I went into this book excited to learn more, but a little worried that my lack of knowledge would be an issue. Thankfully, my ignorance was not an issue and I felt fully engaged and entertained by the story. I think there was enough explanation of the Blue Beetle character- and the changes that must have taken place in previous storylines- that newcomers will be able to jump in like I did. I liked that the story includes mysticism along side action and emotional challenges for the major players. I also enjoyed the artwork and colors, and felt that they added so much to the atmosphere and character personalities as they faced the problems in the story. I do not know if long time fans of the characters will enjoy the book as much as I did, but I think new readers like myself will easily find themselves looking to discover more (both in the past and future) of the character.

No comments: